So, I’ve been redoing our homeschool classroom. We’re moving it into the guest house (room above the garage). I wanted it to be light and airy but also fun, and I decided to run a decal of a line of bunting across one wall. I blithely trickle along to Etsy and discover that to get a 15 foot line of bunting I was going to have to shell out about 50 clams. Mind you, it would look great, like this:
But hey, I was trying to sneak all this stuff in on a budget, so I decided I could do it myself. What could possibly go wrong? Cut out a load of triangle, whang them on the wall, Mod Podge them down, end of story. Right? Um…
OK, so I started out by measuring the wall and trying to decide a way to create a drapy line across it, from which to hang my little flags. This is what I ended up doing:
Then I made a second line, below that one:
Then I painted between the lines:
And then I peeled off the paper and got this:
That’s right. A totally wobbly and crooked, badly painted line. Awesome. I spent about thirty minutes with one of my kids tiny paintbrushes trying to even it all out, but it still looks like crap. However, I decided to press on. When in doubt, bring out the mod podge, that’s my motto.
I made a template for my flags:
And cut a load out of old crib quilt covers I had made years ago. It was just sitting around:
Then I conducted an experiment. I was worried that if I modpdged over the front of the flags, once they were up on the wall, it would dry shiny, and indeed I was correct:
So I mod podged them just on the back, and here’s what happened then:
OK, so we’re getting there, but it still wasn’t right. You could see the edges:
So I painted again over the top edge:
Which looked much better!!! It’s still not something I would advise looking closely at, but it totally works at setting the mood, and all in all I’m pleased with it. Total cost pretty much nothing, as I had all the materials on hand. I decided to spring for some real vinyl decals of birds, who would be ‘holding’ the banner, because my sticking skills far outweigh my painting skills, and as you can see, I’m not all that great at sticking. Here’s what the birds looked like:
And here, drum roll please, is how my finished schoolroom looks!!! I am really pleased with the overall thing, and the kids love it. I also painted the front door, discovering in the process that high gloss paint is much harder to use than regular emulsion. Hey, you live and learn.
- Abbi Waxman of The Irving School for CrapAtCrafts.com